[MPlayer-dev-eng] a few nut suggestions [Info packets and possible uses]

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Oct 3 23:33:01 CEST 2004

On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 10:41:11PM +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
> >3. m$-specific and apple-specific headers
> >player is using a m$ or apple binary codec to play the file, it can
> >regenerate the bitmapinfoheader or whatever crap is needed to make
> >this codec happy based on the other info in the nut header. we don't
> >need to explicitly include this dumb header which is associated with a
> >specific piece of software (one decoder for the format) rather than
> >with the audio or video format itself.
>
> We should make sure at least one implementation of nut can provide a way
> to get those additional information. Again that belongs to the info
> header, and again it should end up in a good definition of what you can
> have in the info packet.

no, codec-specific data is definitely separate from info packet. this
is the way it's been all along, for good reason -- it's impossible to
decode the stream at all without this info. info packets have always
been for data which is only essential to proper presentation of the
data to the user (e.g. selecting the right stream), or not essential
at all.

rich