[MPlayer-dev-eng] a few nut suggestions [Info packets and possible uses]

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Oct 4 01:22:40 CEST 2004

On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 10:41:11PM +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
> D Richard Felker III wrote:
> >1. info packets
> >what if we change things a little bit, and require the existing type
> >of info packet to be at the beginning of the file, but add a fourth
> >stream type, info streams, with which users could include interleaved
> >metainfo?
> Having a metadata stream isn't bad, you can ignore it easly.
> the problem is that you need to have a good metadata stream definition
> or you'll end up with non compatible metadata streams.

well the basic format is intended to be like the current info packets,
a key/value pair list. for basic stuff we'll want from the beginning,
we can make a supplemental document that describes standard keys. but
i fear a big part of the purpose of this stuff is to allow people to
do new and crazy things we didn't envision. :)

so, i think we probably need to allow for "x-*" keys that are user
defined. they're not a problem, since any or all of the info streams
can be ignored by the player. i would expect that good extensions
would get incorporated into the 'official' list eventually, while bad
ones would be ignored by most users.

rich