[MPlayer-dev-eng] new nut thread [fourcc/twocc system]

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Fri Oct 8 04:41:20 CEST 2004

Hi

On Friday 08 October 2004 00:10, D Richard Felker III wrote:
[...]
> 9. stick with fourcc/twocc system or improve/replace it?
>
> i raised the question
> no proposals yet

IMO stick to it, as inventing a new system would mean a lot of work, there are
_many_ fourccs which would need to be remaped and often merging fourccs which
appear to represent identical formats will have catastrophical results, just
think about encoder bug detection & workarounds, yes in many cases its the
fourcc which is used to identify the encoder

furthermore IMHO we should try to avoid delaying nut, especially with things
which could easily be added in a later version

[...]
--
Michael

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your
right to say it." -- Voltaire