[MPlayer-dev-eng] new nut thread [fourcc/twocc system]

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Oct 8 06:24:34 CEST 2004

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 04:41:20AM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Friday 08 October 2004 00:10, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> [...]
> > 9. stick with fourcc/twocc system or improve/replace it?
> >
> > i raised the question
> > no proposals yet
>
> IMO stick to it, as inventing a new system would mean a lot of work, there are
> _many_ fourccs which would need to be remaped and often merging fourccs which
> appear to represent identical formats will have catastrophical results, just
> think about encoder bug detection & workarounds, yes in many cases its the
> fourcc which is used to identify the encoder

my inclination is to definitely _support_ old-style fourcc for legacy
codecs, at least video. but the m$ identifiers for audio are so stupid
(and often ambiguous), it might be worth thinking about replacing
them.

also i'd like to think about having a proper fourcc for mpeg4 for lavc
to use, rather than calling itself "DIVX" or whatever it does now...
but that's not so much a matter of nut as lavc..

> furthermore IMHO we should try to avoid delaying nut, especially with things
> which could easily be added in a later version

ok, glad to know you're interested in seeing it get deployed still!

rich