[MPlayer-dev-eng] Subtitles

David Lamparter lists at diac24.net
Sun Oct 17 10:57:12 CEST 2004

D Richard Felker III wrote:
[snip]
> imo a hack to generate the subtitle images and pipe these things to
> bmovl is a lot harder to write than a proper standalone subtitle
> renderer filter.

Already working at it :). Expect vf_asa & libasa to be done in some
weeks (goal for 1.0 is full ASS support, no other formats yet. Parser
and renderer are strictly separated, however, so that adding other
formats will be pretty easy)

[...]
 > the underlying problem is that mplayer g1 is a pain to code
> for, and writing ugly hacks is usually the only way to get stuff
> done...

Um, yes. To bring it into discussion again: "extern double
mp_globaltimer;" + some dirty hacks to mplayer.c & mencoder.c currently
are the only way of getting timing information in a vf - this just plain
_sux_.

- David

P.S.: you recommended improving the OSD code to me. actually i now think
about doing it the other way 'round - replacing the OSD with vf_asa
(well, not directly with the filter, but with code from it). improving
the OSD enough to support SSA would have required a complete rewrite
anyway...

--
A0C21986 David Lamparter (equinox) <lists at diac24.net>
2D7F 5CC6 93AD 38DD 6CD5  47A0 A5F0 4657 A0C2 1986