[MPlayer-dev-eng] Subtitles

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Oct 17 17:18:45 CEST 2004

On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 10:57:12AM +0200, David Lamparter wrote:
> D Richard Felker III wrote:
> [snip]
> >imo a hack to generate the subtitle images and pipe these things to
> >bmovl is a lot harder to write than a proper standalone subtitle
> >renderer filter.
>
> Already working at it :). Expect vf_asa & libasa to be done in some
> weeks (goal for 1.0 is full ASS support, no other formats yet. Parser
> and renderer are strictly separated, however, so that adding other
> formats will be pretty easy)

excellent! will it work with the existing subtitle system, i.e. stuff
like ssa/ass subs embedded in mkv?

> Um, yes. To bring it into discussion again: "extern double
> mp_globaltimer;" + some dirty hacks to mplayer.c & mencoder.c currently
> are the only way of getting timing information in a vf - this just plain
> _sux_.

agree. but i think you should instead make a vf control() call to send
the current timestamp down the vf chain, instead of using globals.
other filters will ignore it, but vf_asa can grab it and know what
subs to display next.

> P.S.: you recommended improving the OSD code to me. actually i now think
> about doing it the other way 'round - replacing the OSD with vf_asa
> (well, not directly with the filter, but with code from it). improving
> the OSD enough to support SSA would have required a complete rewrite
> anyway...

yes but it's impossible to get good performance without the osd calls
integrated into the vo rather than in a separate filter... :(

rich