[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: [MPlayerOSX-devel] MPlayerOSX and the sources

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed Jan 5 21:31:39 CET 2005

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 12:36:52 +0100
Jan Volf <javol at seznam.cz> wrote:

> I try to do my best, though I have not much time too but since I
> already started, it would be shame not finish it.

Time is always a problem ^^'

> My idea is first to rearrange the main function code to several parts.
> The first part will do the player initialization of everything that has
> nothing  to do with the file to be played. The second part takes the
> file and try to open it and get properties of it. The third part is the
> actually the playing code initializing the rest of what is needed and
> then accepting  play, pause and stop commands. The setting and getting
> various parameters will be done independently thru one pair of accessor
> functions to keep the interface simple.

Sounds good.

> This will be implemented as interface any one can use for it's own UI
> based upon either simple thread player or multithreaded with separated
> thread for each instance of player separated from GUI thread as I plan
> it for MPlayer OS X. For example the command line interface does not
> need multithreaded player but for sophisticated UI it will make
> difference.

Be carefull here, MPlayer is not threadsafe. Most submodules use
global variables and/or are not reentrant.

> This is what I intent to start with.
>
> Your opinions?

Sound good to me. I'll support you on this, though i don't
have anytime to code myself :( But i can look after your patches
and get people to commit them.

				Attila Kinali