[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: [MPlayerOSX-devel] MPlayerOSX and the sources

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Thu Jan 6 10:10:07 CET 2005

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 22:35:00 +0100
Jan Volf <javol at seznam.cz> wrote:

> On 5.1.2005, at 21:31, Attila Kinali wrote:
> >
> > Be carefull here, MPlayer is not threadsafe. Most submodules use
> > global variables and/or are not reentrant.
> >
> The global variables are real pain there, especially when moving code
> in to the different file I have to keep eye on them. In case of
> multithreading there should not be any problem unless I use the globals
> outside of the mplayer's thread.

Yes, in the long term it's planned to remove all these globals and
put them into some structs. Though nobody started with that.
IMHO it's currently not that important as MPlayers core can still be
run as a single process. It actually shouldn't be split into multiple
processes for performance reasons.

> I can still make copy of those
> variables that I want to distribute over threads connection. However,
> this will be probably implemented outside of the mplayers code, since
> it depends on GUI needs.

What globals do you need within the GUI ? Currently i can only
think about the file name and stuff like this, though these
shouldn't be changed at runtime and read only access is safe on these.

> Ok, thanks for the support for now.
> I'm going to do some coding... :)

Thanks to you.

BTW: you probably want to subscribe to mplayer-dev-eng.

						Attila Kinali