[MPlayer-dev-eng] enhancement for yuv4mpeg output driver

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Fri Jan 21 00:26:53 CET 2005

Hi

On Friday 21 January 2005 00:12, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> > > of course. but if you know a bound on the denominator, and the bound
> > > is small enough, it IS possible to losslessly reverse the conversion
> > > to float.
> >
> > Only if the number of bits in the mantissa is smaller than the number of
> > bits in the original denominator.  Secondly, you don't know the original
> > bound on the denominator.
>
> Smaller?? Nonsense, you have things totally backwards. I'm a
> mathematician so I think there might just be a chance I understand
> these things... And I can assure you that it works fine in practice,
> at least if fps is given as a double. Perhaps with float it's
> problematic?

yes with floats its problematic, though IIRC the standard framerates worked
except 60000/1001

we definitly should switch all float fps in mplayer/mencoder to doubles, not
only because of av_d2q() but also because it could lead to av desync after a
few days

[...]
--
Michael

"nothing is evil in the beginning. Even Sauron was not so." -- Elrond