[MPlayer-dev-eng] Postproc Hell

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Mon Jan 31 22:06:53 CET 2005

Andrea Palmatè writes:
> @Diego
> >As I said, pinpoint the change(s) that caused your problems.  It's all
> >in the CVS logs.
>
> I've discovered a strange thing. First of all our OS4 is a beta version,
> not a final version.
> Second, if I change the screenmode (i have a BGRA32 screen mode) to 16 bit
> and then return to BGRA32 the AVI are displayed correctly. but only the
> first time. If i reload the avi, it is broken. If i rechange the screenmode
> 32->16->32 the avi is played without problem. And so on.
> It could be a Mplayer problem or a graphics card driver problem? However
> the 1.0pre4 version has no errors..

OK, try a different approach: Download a nightly CVS snapshot from
sometime after pre4 and test it.  Try finding the date when the
problems start (you can use binary search on the dates).  Then look at
the mplayer-cvslog mailing list and find a suspicious commit.  Revert
the changes from the commit with cvs and see if it cures your
problem.  When you have located the exact commit that causes the
problem we can look into it again.

> @Guillaume
> >I hear you. What I'm saying is that if you compile GCC from sources
> >using Apple's CVS, the problem may disappear just like that: Whoof!
> I don't think that is possible to download the macos source and recompile
> it without problems. Is the GCC writtent entirely in assembly?

No, that is not necessary, gcc bootstraps itself with the help of
another C compiler.  Just try it.  There are GCC compilation
instructions in our documentation:

http://mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/gcc-296.html

Diego