[MPlayer-dev-eng] Small changes to subreader.c file

Robert Henney robh at rut.org
Sun Oct 9 00:15:57 CEST 2005

On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 08:22:04PM +0200, Adam Tla??ka wrote:
> Dnia Sat, 08 Oct 2005 17:36:29 +0200, Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx>
> napisa??:
>
> It is not a broken format - this is the SRT format as it was first designed
> by SubRip creators. It is Windows text file which means CR-LF in it.
> Your format is not a SRT file - it is some variation of it but not
> original format.

If we were discussing a binary format, you more than likely would be
correct.  This is a text format though, which leaves you quite mistaken.

The character(s) making up the representation of end of line marks in
text files is appropriately whatever is native to the platform on which
the file currently resides.

End of line representation should be translated accordingly when moving
the file from one platform to another, be that platform even some
set-top unit.  The role of mplayer is not to provide this platform
idiosyncratic translation.

An exception to this is that mplayer should be flexable to what is fed
into it, meaning that to least some degree several common end of line
representations should be recognised and interpreted correctly and
transparently.  Its output however should be strict to the platform
rules on which it is executing.

--
robh