[MPlayer-dev-eng] Small changes to subreader.c file

Adam Tlałka atlka at pg.gda.pl
Sat Oct 15 19:25:09 CEST 2005

Dnia Sat, 15 Oct 2005 13:03:29 +0200, Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de>
napisał:

>> So far in this discussion I had saw a lot of arguments in favour of
>> using CRLF format, the strongest been that HTML is also in CRLF
>
> Nonsense.  HTML does not specify line endings.

HTML is actually a text file with no strictly defined line endings.
Mentioned RFC is a proposal of standard only. It was an example of RFC but
there are different kinds of RFC's. Maybe it will be the standard some time
but maybe not. Other examples were de facto standards.

CRLF data is widely used in Internet text data exchange - FTP protocol
or ARPA mail text data are both clearly specified in RFC's as CRLF text.
Those are standards really. So this type of data is not Windows specific.

> I'm starting to dislike this CRLF nonsense more and more.  The hardware
> players that have problems with LF subtitle files are clearly broken.
> Adding workarounds for other people's bugs into your program is always a
> nasty thing to do.  This one looks particularly stupid to me.  It needs
> to be fixed by the other side IMO.

MPlayer plays broken data and subtitle files if it can and this is the
design.
So supporting a "broken" in you definition format should be not a problem
as ouput format for compatibility reason. Changes in code are minimal
and it doesn't affect playing ability.

The last revised patch (2a.patch) writes output files in their original
format
which means that formats which appeared as LF only are produced as LF only
and those born as CRLF text are produced as CRLF text. If you hate CRLF
text
then you can use mpsub for example. I agree with you that producing all
formats
as CRLF text has no real reason.

The other option is adding a user option for example:
-dumpnl native  : exporting in native host system format of text files
or
-dumpnl compatible
-dumpnl original : exporting in format in which particular type of subtitle
			  started to exist - the most compatible now

I am against an option because depending on system the same program
produces
different files. Write them on CD/DVD and you have mixed formats if you for
example adding a session using different system. Text files hell again
and you just don't know if it works with your hardware player or some other
player on different system or not. Mix and mess.

Anyway I am waiting for considering all pross and cons and the final
decision
of developers team not only Ritch with his behaviour which is completly
out of network list rules. He should apologize for it in my opinion.

Regards
--
Adam Tlałka      mailto:atlka at pg.gda.pl    ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
System  & Network Administration Group           ~~~~~~
PGP public key:   finger atlka at sunrise.pg.gda.pl