[MPlayer-dev-eng] NUT cleanup

Oded Shimon ods15 at ods15.dyndns.org
Sun Sep 4 00:12:02 CEST 2005

On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 06:07:57AM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> 4. Index. There's no pointer at the end of the file pointing back to
>    the beginning of the index, so you have to keep seeking back and
>    searching (without bound) for the index startcode. I'd propose either
>    an end-of-index startcode followed by a vlc-coded backpointer to the
>    index, or a reverse-vlc-coded backpointer at the end of the index.

I got some more problems.

Is index per stream or not?... There's just a SINGLE index, for a SINGLE
stream in the file?

What about subtitles? There's no defined way in the spec to write them. I
think they should basically be a stream header and a 2 letter language...
Something like that. Perhaps encoding too?

What does 'metadata' mean?..
stream_class
        0       video
        1       audio
        2       subtiles
        3       metadata

Also, I have a request - add a last_pts field in the index. so we can know
the precise total length of the video without weird hacks like seeking to
last frame...

I'm almost done with my muxer implementation. Stuck on index because of
this, still haven't implemented info packets, and it has one slight
disadvantage, it reuiqres the caller to be quite smart (all timestamp
handling is done by caller).

- ods15