[MPlayer-dev-eng] shared libavcodec

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 15:23:19 CEST 2005

2005/9/19, Guillaume POIRIER <poirierg at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> On 9/19/05, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt at metux.de> wrote:
> > * Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> schrieb:
> >
> > <snip>

> > > yes
> >
> > are there any differences between both versions ?
>
> On is static, the other one is shared! :o)
>
> If I'm not mistaken the shared version needs to have one register kept
> aside, so this leads to suboptimal code, which is not smth ppl want in
> general in multimedia programs.
>

> > <snip>
> > >
> > > Yes, but it's not a good idea, search the mailing list archives.
> >
> > Didn't find enough to be satisfied. What's wrong with this ?
> >
> > And how can I mplayer tell to use the installed one ?
>
> I don't know how to do that, but in doubt, just remove the shared
> version of libavcodec and see if mplayer still works. It it does, let
> it stay that way.
>
> Guillaume
> --
> Reading doesn't hurt, really!
>   -- Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski

There is only one (minor) problem when compiling mplayer with shared libavcodec.
The ffmpeg doesn't install dsputil.h file, but mplayer spp filter(s)
make direct use of it.
I had always wondered what is the right solution: adding dsputil.h to install or
disabling spp filter(s).

I don't like either of them, so it would be nice to hear what do you think.