[Mplayer-dvb] future plans

mocm at convergence.de mocm at convergence.de
Tue Jan 22 10:46:12 CET 2002

 > - Could you please provide me some info about A-V syncronization by the card?
 > I've experienced a lot with PTS values, but it's a bit random, sometimes it
 > work sometimes it doesn't. It looks like it's ignored if exceeds a maximum
 > difference? Or is it just a buffering problem.
 > - Is there any chance to get current delay of video? It would be very
 > usefull to adjust A-V sync when playback via audio card.

The synching is done in the so called RTSL library in the firmware. We
can only choose the method (which is called something like fast and
slow synching), We have no information about the PTS of the currently
decoded or displayed frame. That was very bad, when with the old RTSL
synching didn't work at all with MPEG1 data. We could not do anything.
Now synching is ok for the most part, it even works for my AC3->LPCM
conversion. Off course, there are still some problems with very badly
muxed files. You get an "under water effect" (it sounds like people
are talking under water), when audio and video PTS are too far apart,
so that the buffer is not large enough.

Marcus

Dr. Marcus Metzler
mocm at netcologne.de                     http://www.metzlerbros.de