[Mplayer-dvb] future plans

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Jan 24 01:06:18 CET 2002

Hi,

> Unfortunatelly the audio up/downsampler is somehow broken, I've reported it
> to author and we're working on the fix.
it's fixed now, but still does sig11 at exit (uninit) sometimes.

> For the near future, you can expect:
> - switch from ffmpeg to mp1e. it's much faster mpeg1 encoder, should improve
>   software playback (divx, etc)
I've implemented it, but currently it's too messy to commit.
teh main problem is that mp1e uses pthreads, and calls write_buffer from
another thread. so it happened to write while audio was written, so packets
gets messed up :(
we should somehow kill pthread usage and all other unneeded stuff (like
audio codec, muxers) from mp1e to get it usable and stable.

anyway, it's 2x-3x faster!

> - fix A-V sync issues, especially at seeking - it's even hard to reproduce
> it here, so if you have a 100% method to reproduce such issue, describe!
> (also upload sample file)
ok, i think i've found the problem. it was the video PTS. now it's fixed,
please try and report if you still have variable a-v desync.
variable? yes, as i somehow get constant +-0.5s delay sometimes (file
specific), but it can be fixed with +/- keys at runtime, or the -delay option.
i mean non-mpeg files, the mpeg passthrough was not changed yet!

> To Marcus or others at convergence:
> - Could you please provide me some info about A-V syncronization by the card?
> I've experienced a lot with PTS values, but it's a bit random, sometimes it
> work sometimes it doesn't. It looks like it's ignored if exceeds a maximum
> difference? Or is it just a buffering problem.
ok, now it's ok, more or less :)
it was my fault, my bug.

> - Is there any chance to get current delay of video? It would be very
> usefull to adjust A-V sync when playback via audio card.
what about buffer sizes? are they constant?

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu