[Mplayer-dvb] future plans

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Jan 27 16:28:08 CET 2002

Hi,

> > Unfortunatelly the audio up/downsampler is somehow broken, I've reported it
> > to author and we're working on the fix.
> it's fixed now, but still does sig11 at exit (uninit) sometimes.
fixed.

> > For the near future, you can expect:
> > - switch from ffmpeg to mp1e. it's much faster mpeg1 encoder, should improve
> >   software playback (divx, etc)
> I've implemented it, but currently it's too messy to commit.
> teh main problem is that mp1e uses pthreads, and calls write_buffer from
> another thread. so it happened to write while audio was written, so packets
> gets messed up :(
> we should somehow kill pthread usage and all other unneeded stuff (like
> audio codec, muxers) from mp1e to get it usable and stable.
>
> anyway, it's 2x-3x faster!

i've gave up idea of using mp1e, it seems to be impossible to remove
unneeded things and threads without full rewrite :(
but, Michael Niedermajer today commited some big chanegs to libavcodec, so
it's now 2 times faster! Comparable to mp1e.

Full sized divx4 playback needs avg. 30% of my 1.8g p4 cpu.
It means an celeron 800 should be enough for full rate playback now.
(or p3 600 maybe)

> i mean non-mpeg files, the mpeg passthrough was not changed yet!
its' fixed too, at least work fine for me.
after seeking it sometimes need few seconds to catch up sync, but then
it's synced again. i can't fix that, as it's in the card's firware.

> > - Is there any chance to get current delay of video? It would be very
> > usefull to adjust A-V sync when playback via audio card.
> what about buffer sizes? are they constant?
?

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu