[Mplayer-dvb] video newbie wants to help, advice needed

Alexander Neundorf alexander.neundorf at gmx.net
Wed Jan 23 02:19:19 CET 2002

Hi,

I'm very new to this video stuff (not programming), but now I have a lot of
time to work on it :-)

Well, basically I want to record data from my analog tv card and feed it
somehow into the dvb card, so that it will be displayed on the tv with the
nice translucent OSD.

As far as I am until now, mencoder is able to record video from a v4l device,
but not audio yet.
This is the first point where I'd like to work.
Can somebody give me some hints how to start, what to consider ?

Then, when this is done, AFAIK it has to be encoded into a MPEG2 PES, and
this can be fed into the Siemens dvb card.

This would have to happen in realtime.
I have a 1 GHz Athlon here.
I think it should be possible to do it if the encoder simply produces only
I-frames without motion prediction, differential coding, etc.
And since the dvb card supports lpcm, the audio data wouldn't have to be
converted, would it ?

So, if this was all nonsense, tell me.
If not, tell me what you think and where I can start :-)

Bye
Alex