[MPlayer-G2-dev] the awakening, license changes and so on...

Sascha Sommer saschasommer at freenet.de
Sun Jul 25 17:44:10 CEST 2004

On Saturday 24 July 2004 15:41, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'LL BE BACK:
> Some of you already know from irc, i'm planning to continue work
> ok mplayer g2 core from september. I left g2 because of the license
> conflict: i don't like gpl, especially for the g2 core, and no, i
> did not change my option, but the license :)

Good to hear that you are back.

> LICENSE CHANGE:
> the code released in g2 peview47 is mostly under gpl. it means
> we need to change license, with the agreement of authors. so,
> if you are author of some code in g2, and you disagree with the
> lgpl, tell us asap, so we can replace your code.
> note, that most of the code in g2 core is written by me, or being
> copied/inherited from g1.
> about plugins/filters: i want the basic ones (like swscaler,
> crop/expand, libavcodec, vo_x11 etc) be lgpl too, so they can
> be included in core. The rest (like Rich's filters) may be external
> gpl plugins, unless their authors accepts lgpl.

I accept the license chance to LGPL for G2 code written by me.
Not much anyway.
timer-win.c isn't written by me, though. Maybe we should simply replace
it with the code currently in G1.

> MY PLANS:
> the first goal is to stabilize/finalize all core APIs. most of them
> are OK already, maybe needs some fixes or reviews, and documentation.
> in details:
> VO: the x11_helper stuff needs to be designed better, Beastd and Faust3
>     promised some help me, and Koth too in the past.
>     the driver api (buffer allocation, display etc) stuff is ok imho.
>     also we should check how to handle "coupled drivers", like
>     x11+vidix, x11+mga, fbdev+tdfx, vesa+vidix etc.
>     either the parent driver can handle it, or the vf_vo wrapper can.
>     both has advs and disadvs.

Dunno maybe it is the easiest way to add support for it in the vf_vo wrapper
as described in
http://mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-g2-dev/2003-December/000567.html

Sascha