[Mplayer-users] Clicking/pausing/generally bad sound

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Apr 25 02:08:40 CEST 2001

Hi,

> I downloaded the latest CVS (and one other) of mplayer and compiled each
> one in order to see how they worked. The video worked perfectly,
> particularly with the fbdev, but for some obsecure reason the audio fails
> to do so. I have tried both pcm and mp3 sound, which both give more or
> less the same result (it's kind of like the sound you get when you try
> playing mp3s in stereo on a 486, ie, jerky). I've also tried changing the
> select() define in config.h. I wondered if it wasn't something to do with
> buffer sizes and so on, but I'm not an expert so can't tell... Oh, and
> I've also tried 44 and 48000hz sound and they both do the same thing- it's
> as if somehow the sound just isn't getting its fair share of resources.
>
> The system I'm running it on is a Pentium 3 800 MHz, 128megs ram, Trident
> sound (it's a laptop) and uses framebuffer all round since the only
> official drivers for the SIS graphics card just caused endless
> snowcrashes. However, the graphics looks perfect... it's just the sound,
> although maybe the framebuffer uses additional resources. I have tried
> simply nice -n -19 mplayer but it seems to make no difference.
>
> Oh, and if I use -vo null, it displays the sound on all the avi files
> perfectly well, leaving me feeling that perhaps it needs to have the
> priority on sound decoding set rather higher... sadly, I don't know how to
> do this ;-)

Hmm. If the sound was perfect with -vo null, and jerky with (slow) -vo
fbdev, so it means that fbdev eats too many power. What are the % values
printed in status line while playing? I have a bet that second % is high.

Try to set up MTRR registers (see DOCS/MTRR), it helps A LOT on p3.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu