[Mplayer-users] Real DVD support!

André Dahlqvist andre.dahlqvist at telia.com
Tue Aug 21 12:10:50 CEST 2001

Gábor Lénárt <lgb at lgb.hu> wrote:

> > ** Your system is too SLOW to play this! try with -framedrop or RTFM! **
>
> OK, so you said mplayer is slow because of this message?

No, I said video playback was slow. I would accept that my system was too
slow for DVD playback if it didn't work with other players. And no, I don't
want to use them because I like mplayer in so many other ways. What I am
trying to do with this bugreport is to help improve mplayer, not to
criticise.

> IMHO windowz play drops frames as well sometimes, but it's default there
> and it does not show this fact to you as mplayer does it with a message
> like this.

I doubt that's what's happening, because playback is smooth and not jerky
as is the case if I use -framedrop in mplayer. I don't know if vlc uses
framedrop by default, but the playback is much faster and still not jerky
(only in fast moving scenes...so work can be done there too).

> (OK it was G400 with mga_vid.o, not Xv. Maybe your driver in XFree is
> slow and buggy?)

It certainly is crap, because it's NVidia. Had I bougt this system myself I
would not have made that choise but...
--

André Dahlqvist <andre.dahlqvist at telia.com>