[MPlayer-users] Re: incredibly slow... why ?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Dec 4 19:36:02 CET 2001

Hi,

> And I wanted to know, how the mplayer developers judge the status of
> ALSA, is it just as broken as OSS or would this be the solution to many
> problems users are experiencing.

I don't know ALSA well. I programmed OSS a lot, and readed and understood
its docs. Never used ALSA's native interface.

But ALSA has 2 side. the native and the OSS emulation.
I think OSS emulation is build on the top of native, and should be driver
independent. It was bad in alsa 0.5 (2x64kb fixed buffers) but it's very
good and usable in 0.9. It's even better than native OSS drivers ;)

So I recommend trying ALSA 0.9 with OSS emulation (-ao oss) it works fine
for me and should work for all alsa-supported cards. There are also native
alsa 0.5 and 0.9 drivers in mplayer, worth to try them.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu