[MPlayer-users] MS Video Screen Codec

Mike Melanson melanson at pcisys.net
Fri Dec 7 15:24:19 CET 2001

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Arpi wrote:

> upload this codecs.conf patch, the codec dll and small sample .avi/.wmv to ftp.
> btw what's this codec? i've never heard about it before.

	Neither have I. I can't find any info on the internet about
it. The fourcc isn't even listed at Webartz. The decoder .ax file, when
automatically downloaded by WMP, is only 69KB large and is dated August 8,
2000. I had a hunch that it might be the same algorithm as Video 1. Bad
hunch. However, if the sample file that he uploaded (screen_video.wmv) is
any indication, it's going to be a pretty simple, lossless algorithm. (The
sample file is just 1.5 minutes of a Windows desktop doing stuff.)

	I'm on it (right after I perfect the FLI subsystem, of course...:)
--
	-Mike Melanson