[MPlayer-users] Re: whats the best codec to use for backing up dvds?

Sven Hartge hartge at ds9.argh.org
Fri Dec 7 22:55:39 CET 2001

tripsy <powerofclean at home.com> schrieb:

> im just wondering whats the best codec to use, to back up dvds so as
> to be able to play them back both on win and linux?

I'd vote for OpenDivX or DivX4. (XivD looks nice too, but I don't have
any experience with this codec and its cross-platform compatibility,
stability or quality, so I can't say anything deeper about it.)

> i did the two pass thing and it worked great, but wouldnt play on
> windows only lin

Huh?

The file produced in the second pass is in no different format than the
file from the first pass, the only difference is, that the encoder uses
the statistical information from the first pass to enhance its quality,
so files produced with two passes should be playable on every platform,
as long as there is a codec present.

So, if you encoded to DivX4, you need to install the DivX4-Codec on you
windows platform as well, or it won't work.

-sh-

--
142 Reasons, Why You Can't Find Your System Administrator
78. gone home to sleep (1st time in x days)