[MPlayer-users] You said patents ?

pl p_l at tfz.net
Fri Dec 14 14:30:33 CET 2001

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 12:47:31PM +0000, Alban Bedel wrote:

> A few days ago I thaught to this and I have a proposition in case that one day
> some problemes come from Redmon. Why not turn all patended parts in plugins.

Because somebody has to code it. Any volunteer ?
(depending on how you load modules it may hurt performances, too)

> So in this mplayer distribution don't contain any patended algo or such.
> But we can still "distribute" this "illegal" code throw a p2p network like eDonkey2000 or
> any other. Just an idea. They can't stop us >:·)

Anyway, MPlayer is a collection of source codes (they happen to compile
together but it's a side effect - no our fault :).

Code has not been stolen, credits is given where needed, etc... IANAL
but such work is protected by the authors' rights (Bern convention or
something like that).  Kinda geek poetry :)

Though, you are not allowed to compile it as using it would break
patents but as a source code it's some free speech...  We don't want to
know what you do on your own computer.

--
Best regards,
  pl