[MPlayer-users] X-Server crashes

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Dec 16 19:30:54 CET 2001

Hi,

> mplayer -vc odivx -vfm 3 <file>
>
> That's it! I don't understand why it works, but maybe the MS MPEG-4 v3 driver
> is broken. Why a broken decoding-driver can crash the X-server - don't ask
> me, it just did it!
>
> Maybe this can help you to find the error and fix it. Thanks!

not the codec or mplayer is broken. the Xvideo driver you use is broken.
upgrade it...

m$ codecs use YUY2 format (packed yuv 4:2:2 format) while odivx and ff*
codecs use YV12 (planar yuv 4:2:0 format). they differ, and maybe yuy2 is
broken in your X driver (at leats it's known to be broken in 3dfx drivers)

and RTFM video.html.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu