Subject: Re: [MPlayer-users] firewalls needed :)

Roger Fujii rmf at lookhere.com
Wed Dec 19 21:49:54 CET 2001

Gabucino <gabucino at mplayer.dev.hu> wrote:

> > > Hmm, this is classic, all your problems are answered in the documentati=
> on :)
> > I didn't realize the solution for a poorly organized docs are in the docs.
> Exactly what is "poorly organized" ?

The entire DOC.  For a quick example, something that would make sense just from
the current data is:

Introduction
Requirements
Optional components
Building
   configure options
Installation
Running Mplayer
   runtime commands

as a PEER to the above doc, you should have:
   How to submit Bugs.

> > That's if you already know WHAT to configure.
> There is "Installation" section..

You show me 1 configure option in the installation section.

> Unfortunately nobody sends patches about what is missing, just flames.

and this is a surprise from the way you guys have been responding?

#1.4 is under the section marked "INTRODUCTION: What about the GUI"  Doesn't
it make more sense to have this under BUILDING, or COMPILATION?

> It's also in TFM that _always_ try cvs version before mailing here.

Oh?  Where, praytell?

> > > Where? Matter of taste.. Send patch.
> > I'm not about to spend time on a project whose developers are so rude -
> Ah-hah! :) But you would be the exception!

I guess birds of a feather, flock together....

> and the
> > > a, it's worth it
> > yeah, like having a dictionary that isn't alphabetized.
> Come, take my hand kid. Let's go to the zoo.

The only one immature here is you.....

> > Thus, following your FM, you will get NO GUI. =20
> Hm.. Look __above__ it.

you mean _below_

>    FEATURES                                                                =
>     =20
>                                                                            =
>     =20
>      * For DVD support, you'll have to compile libdvdcss and libdvdread, an=
> d   =20
>        in this order! See section 4.2 for more information.                =
>     =20
>      * Decide if you need GUI. If you do, see the 1.4 section before       =
>     =20
>        compiling.                                                          =
>     =20
>
> Do you read documentations from the bottom?

I (I presume like most people) try to read what is relavent.  The problem with
the docs is that what's relavent scattered all over the document, which is
unlike any other document I have seen.  I eventually found it, but as I said,
it's not very intuitive.

> > > You know: it's an agreement between other developers and me. Users can't
> > > install unless they RTFM, so my efforts aren't in vain ;)
> > Glad you feel this way...   Time to start looking at xmps.
> Some ppl juts can't take a joke.

Considering that that IS what you guys are doing, it wasn't much of a joke....

D J Hawkey Jr <hawkeyd at visi.com> wrote:
> Here I sit with a bunch of patches to help out the GUI you deny exists,
> and you want to ban me. Like I said, "Fine.". I'll bet I'm not the first
> you'll cut off [to spite your nose], and I'll bet I won't be the last.
> 'Tis a shame.

Isn't it though?  It's pretty tragic.

> I'm outta here. Anyone that wants to reply to me, do so to my addy. I
> won't be reading my MPlayer mail anymore, should it continue to arrive.

I'm with ya.  You can only try so much to prevent people from shooting
themselves.

-r