Subject: Re: [MPlayer-users] firewalls needed :)

Gabucino gabucino at mplayer.dev.hu
Wed Dec 19 23:01:00 CET 2001

It's the Question that drives us, Roger Fujii :
> > Exactly what is "poorly organized" ?
> The entire DOC.  For a quick example, something that would make sense just
> from the current data is:
>
> Introduction
> Requirements
> Optional components
> Building
These come in _EXACTLY_ this order. The Installation section is not split
to sub-sections in the TOC, though. It isn't a critical problem as nobody
installs from the TOC, but I add it to my TODO list.

>    configure options
I don't see the point of maintaining a separate list of ./configure --help .

> Installation
> Running Mplayer
Actually "Running MPlayer" is a bit far away from Installation in the _TOC_,
but after 2 PAGEDN's, everyone can find it.

>    runtime commands
man mplayer is JUST for these things. Again, maintaining the same thing
in two different places instead of one, just causes desync. A good example
is Nick's (ATI) DOCS additions, there were questions here if there actually is
TVout support for ATI-xyz cards. And I don't really want to mess with it,
as I don't know that stuff.

> as a PEER to the above doc, you should have:
It's right there, even split to subsections. And in a separate file.

>    How to submit Bugs.
It's right there too. DOCS/bugreports.html, or Appendix C from the TOC.

> > > That's if you already know WHAT to configure.
> > There is "Installation" section..
> You show me 1 configure option in the installation section.
"Installation" provides short descriptions, and links to the proper
places of the dox. And they aren't even mandatory. Again, I don't see the
point of writing the same stuff two times (e.g. listing DVD compile options
in "Installation" and in cd-dvd.html).

> > Unfortunately nobody sends patches about what is missing, just flames.
> and this is a surprise from the way you guys have been responding?
Take it or leave it.

> #1.4 is under the section marked "INTRODUCTION: What about the GUI"  Doesn't
> it make more sense to have this under BUILDING, or COMPILATION?
"Installation" has a link for it, as it's a longer topic to fit in there.
If one reads selectively.. Well, shit happens.

> > It's also in TFM that _always_ try cvs version before mailing here.
> Oh?  Where, praytell?
Huh. It used to be :( Shame on me. Thanks, I'll add it.

> > Come, take my hand kid. Let's go to the zoo.
> The only one immature here is you.....
Not the "only", but one of them :)

> > > Thus, following your FM, you will get NO GUI. =20
> > Hm.. Look __above__ it.
> you mean _below_
I mean _above_

   FEATURES

     * For DVD support, you'll have to compile libdvdcss and libdvdread, and
       in this order! See section 4.2 for more information.
     * Decide if you need GUI. If you do, see the 1.4 section before
       compiling.
   Then build MPlayer:

     ./configure
     make
     make install

> > Do you read documentations from the bottom?
> I (I presume like most people) try to read what is relavent.  The problem with
> the docs is that what's relavent scattered all over the document, which is
> unlike any other document I have seen.
Noticed it? I'm happy :)
That's why the "Installation" section exists. And after one is through
with the installation, the TOC, and the structure of the documentation can
help him/her find what he seeks.

> I eventually found it, but as I said,
> it's not very intuitive.
IMHO it's logical.

> > Some ppl juts can't take a joke.
> Considering that that IS what you guys are doing, it wasn't much of a joke....
What installation comfort did you expect from a v0.x software ? Use
avifile/etc, they are 0.x, but they have nice packages. And they even run
sometimes.
We won't package until MPlayer is ready. Our userbase doesn't have problems
with installation. If you have, wait. But don't cry to us.

> > 'Tis a shame.
> Isn't it though?  It's pretty tragic.
...they said, and rode into the sunset.
;)

> I'm with ya.  You can only try so much to prevent people from shooting
> themselves.
We can't please users who can't compile, nor wait.

If you answer, please answer directly to me.

--
Gabucino