[MPlayer-users] libdvdcss and libdvdread issues

Cyan Ogilvie cyan at inet.co.za
Fri Dec 28 07:57:45 CET 2001

On Thu, 2001-12-27 at 21:10, pl wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 06:18:19PM +0100, Michael Hunold wrote:
>
> > I'm very pleased with "mplayer" and how it plays dvds so far, but of
> > course you can always improve things...
> >
> > For css decryption and dvd access, I'm currently using libdvdcss 1.0.0
> > and libdvdread 0.9.2, which work nicely in conjunction with current
> > mplayer cvs and with most of my dvds.
> >
> > But sometimes (for example with Disney's "Tarzan") the title key
> > cracking takes very long (> 15 seconds for one title key), and even
> > fails sometimes (the new "Shrek" movie):
>
> Do you see this erroneous behavior with version 0.0.3.ogle of libdvdcss ?
> I'm just asking as there are/have been issues with libdvdread 0.9.2
> and versions of libdvdcss different from 0.0.3.ogle (dunno why).

I'm seeing more or less this behaviour with the recommended versions of
libdvdcss and libdvdread (from cd-dvd.html), compiled from source.
Takes a few minutes to start playing, although it managed to play the
shrek dvd fine.  CVS version as of friday.  Sorry I don't have more
detailed info, I'm at work and the machine in question is my home one.

btw, mencoder rocks!  Wonderfull stuff.  Can't yet encode my Evangelion
VIV's tho, complains about BGR32 unsupported for some such (again, sorry
for lack of details)  Perhaps helpful to some on the list:  When trying
out mencoder (before reading the dox) I used the debian version of
libdvdread (0.9.2-0.1).  Mencoder generated avi's at 50mb/p (yup),
regardless of the br= param.  Compiled the stuff from scratch from the
recommended places and versions, then rebuilt mencoder and all was
peachy.