[MPlayer-users] mencoder issues .60pre2

Chris Wertman cwertman at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 30 05:35:11 CET 2001

Im having an issue, I downloaded, compiled installed,
WONERFULL stuff, thanks to the MPlayer team,

I have never done this before so I MAY very well be
doing something very wrong but,

I can play DVD's fine, no problem, a little choppy
from time to time,
(Im on an AMD 750, RH 7.2(2.4.7-10)  512 meg , Nvidia
Geo2 32 meg, should it do that, or is it lame system
speed ?)

But thats not the problem, I mainly wnat to encode on
this system, I try the following
mencoder -dvd 1 -o test.avi
as well as the 2 pass encoding in the docs and
mencoder -dvd 1 -x 640 -y 480 -sws 2 -o test.avi

NOW, the file plays, sounds nice, looks like some
melted Dali ACID TRIP, If you seek forward it clears
for a second and kinda starts melting again, then
after 7-10 seconds it clear as a bell for a few frames
then the same all over.

I have no other system to test to see if its a problem
with my encoded file,  or even if its a DVD read to
encode that is the issue.

I played other Divx4 stuff tonight just fine, none of
the Artifacting I have had with the one I try to
encode.

Has this abborhent behavior been seen before ?
Any suggestions, I can provide sample Divx

I built everything with gcc 3.02 I have the latest
Nvidia drivers,

It has to be something in the encode proccess, but
WHAT ? Is it an issue with the DVD read, or is it an
encoding or lib issue someone has seen before.

I read the living hell out of the docs and see some
info on this under the DVD section, but the only thing
I get are lags/ hops on the direct read of the DVD,
not this acid trip, but Is this how it manifest into
the encode ?

Chris