[MPlayer-users] Building for multiple processors/machines from one source tree

Brian J. Murrell ce0aed7f3ce86bcce649a2d318628205 at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Dec 31 02:09:38 CET 2001

On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 05:59:45PM -0700, Mike Melanson wrote:

> 	I have the same situation with my PPC mounting my home directory
> on my main x86 box via NFS. I have to maintain a projects/mplayer-ppc
> directory and a projects/mplayer-x86 directory.

Yeah, I was hoping to avoid that.  I want to know *for sure* that both
binaries were built from the same source.  Keeping separate trees,
especially whey you "cvs update", introduces a risk of having the trees
out of sync.

Shadowing one tree to another introduces the risk of carrying
something from one build environment to the other that should not be
carried.

It is much more ideal to build out of the one source pool into
different build directories.

> 	Well, I suppose we could browse through the autoconf material and
> see what macros we could borrow.

I seem to recall that at the heart of it was gnu makes "VPATH"
variable.  Not sure how they used it to do this however.

> Bear in mind that MPlayer doesn't use
> autoconf or automake. The configure script is custom-built.

Yes, I did notice that.

Thanx,
b.

--