[MPlayer-users] Building for multiple processors/machines from one source tree

Mike Melanson melanson at pcisys.net
Mon Dec 31 02:56:08 CET 2001

On Sun, 30 Dec 2001, Brian J. Murrell wrote:

> I seem to recall that at the heart of it was gnu makes "VPATH"
> variable.  Not sure how they used it to do this however.

	When you refer to multiple platforms, do you mean like x86, PPC,
etc., or x86-mmx, x86-3dnow, etc.? I guess it doesn't really matter.
Anyway, I did a Google search for "autoconf vpath" (the only clues you
gave) and found multiple copies of this manual entry:
  http://www.gnu.org/manual/autoconf-2.13/html_node/autoconf_13.html

	So I'm thinking about this idea, and it seems like it would work
something like this: Run the configure script from a particular platform,
say, an x86-3dnow system, and it would detect that fact and create a
directory called x86-3dnow-config. All of the configuration stuff for that
platform would go in there. Then, the Makefile would need to be able to
put together the same string and be able to tell gcc to include
x86-3dnow-config/config.h in the build, and also output object files to
x86-3dnow-obj/ in each source sub directory.

	I probably don't know what I'm talking about here. I'm just
tossing out ideas.
--
	-Mike Melanson