[MPlayer-users] Building for multiple processors/machines from one source tree

Brian J. Murrell 040396560c10574ccd661cb82eb15bf6 at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Dec 31 04:06:28 CET 2001

On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 06:56:08PM -0700, Mike Melanson wrote:

> 	When you refer to multiple platforms, do you mean like x86, PPC,
> etc., or x86-mmx, x86-3dnow, etc.?

The latter in my case but it doesn't really matter.

> I guess it doesn't really matter.

Nope.

> Anyway, I did a Google search for "autoconf vpath" (the only clues you
> gave) and found multiple copies of this manual entry:
>   http://www.gnu.org/manual/autoconf-2.13/html_node/autoconf_13.html

That's it.

> 	So I'm thinking about this idea, and it seems like it would work
> something like this: Run the configure script from a particular platform,
> say, an x86-3dnow system, and it would detect that fact and create a
> directory called x86-3dnow-config.

Way too much work and too complicated.

> All of the configuration stuff for that
> platform would go in there.

This part is right.  The generated config.* files, anything else
generated as a result of the configure, and of course, anything that
results from the "make".

> Then, the Makefile would need to be able to
> put together the same string and be able to tell gcc to include
> x86-3dnow-config/config.h in the build, and also output object files to
> x86-3dnow-obj/ in each source sub directory.

Again, way too much work.

> 	I probably don't know what I'm talking about here. I'm just
> tossing out ideas.

You are close, just putting too much "automation" into it.

Build dirs with autoconf work like this:

$ cd /usr/src/mplayer
$ mkdir my_pvr
$ cd my_pvr
$ ../configure --options
$ make

And everything specific to the build for "my_pvr" gets built in the
cwd, which is my_pvr when you issue the "make".

That's it.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell