[mplayer] Re: Scaling

Dariusz Pietrzak dariush at ajax.umcs.lublin.pl
Tue Feb 20 19:52:19 CET 2001

> I'm using XFree 4.0.1, Redhat 7.0 using kernel 2.2.16-22, and a Riva
I'd use newer kernel (2.4.x) if that's your workstation - You'd have
problems with DRI as those drivers ( like agpgart, and dri for rivas )
apeared only in 2.4.x, although I can be mistaken here.

> find / -name xvinfo both failed), but xdpyinfo reports XVideo as a loaded
Hmm, dunno what's wrong with that. Wait till some real mplayer hackers
speak out.

> extension. When I try to use -vo xv switch I get a bunch of BadAlloc
> (insufficient resources for operation) failures:
>     major opcode 142
>     minor opcode 19

> I had this problem when first trying to get AVIplay to work and adding
> additional screen modes to my XF86Config-4 file fixed it, but I've got 8, 16,
aviplay uses SDL to output, and SDL can change resolutions, mplayer's
fullscreen works completely different - it uses scaling so it works with
your current resolution. It have some positive sides ( like I'm watching
my movies at 1280x1024 @86Hz ) but also drawbacks - scaling is quite
computing intensive, and unless you're using hardware you'll be in pain.
Sorry, I don't know technical details. Wait for someone who does.

Oh, and - hey, people, how about bilinear filtering? I've seen driver that
does that and hey, it's great. And can be done my matroxes in hardware :)

---
xx xxx...
Dariusz Pietrzak			http://eyck.tinet.pl
    Eyck at irc.pl        dariush at ajax.umcs.lublin.pl