[Mplayer-users] dirty ideas to speedup libMP3

Christoph Lampert lampert at math.chalmers.se
Mon Jul 23 13:56:10 CEST 2001

>Thus spake Christoph Lampert (lampert at math.chalmers.se):
>> I found that on slow CPUs (and I mean slooooooow like mine), MP3 Audio
>> eats a lot of CPU time (up to 50%, it can't skip & often no MMX and/or 3dnow)
>> am looking for a way to speed this up.
>
>How can you expect good video playback when half your CPU is busy with
>mp3 playback?  Get a decent CPU, I say.
>
>An Athlon 1330 MHz currently costs <200 Euro.  This is so dirt cheap,
>there is really no excuse to have crappy hardware anymore. ;)

I'm not talking about DVD 720x480. I talk about 320x240 Simpsons
episodes in DivX. They run fine (with a little bit of frameskip) on my
K6/200 (sorry Dariusz, I removed your K6-2 again, it was too much MMX-trouble.)

However some people seem to believe you need 128 or 96kbit audio for
watching cartoons, and that's when it gets too slow...

I'll buy my new machines in September, dual-AthlonMP, but I certainly won't
do that now and not in Sweden with 25% VAT.

But even after that, it's a matter of principle.

gruel

--
Dipl. math. Christoph Lampert (complex analysis, integral formulae)
Email: gruel at gmx.de                |     Email: lampert at math.chalmers.se