[Mplayer-users] dirty ideas to speedup libMP3

Christoph Lampert lampert at math.chalmers.se
Mon Jul 23 14:06:19 CEST 2001

>It should be possible to downmix the audio (to mono, perhaps?)
>I remember winamp (I know, I know...) having settings where you could
>downmix to 1/2 or 1/4 bitrate if you had a slow-ass computer...

Indead, I tried with mpg123. It has setting -2 and -4 to downsample
(not bitrate, but samplingfreq. from 44kHz to 22kHz or even 11kHz).
That speeds things up by 25 or 40%! With extra -m for mono it was
almost 60% speedup!

Is something like this possible with mp3lib ? Or already included,
and just not used?

gruel

--
Dipl. math. Christoph Lampert (complex analysis, integral formulae)
Email: gruel at gmx.de                |     Email: lampert at math.chalmers.se