[Mplayer-users] new ffmpeg/libavcodec

Christoph H. Lampert gruel at gmx.de
Tue Jul 24 19:45:50 CEST 2001

Hi Arpi,

> what's the defference between radeon and radeon VE ?

ATi Radeon VE is the low-cost chipset with only 1 pixel pipeline instead of 3
(or some other fancy 3D-word). So its 3D performance is worse than of normal
Radeon chipset. However, the Radeon VE graphics card (the only card using
this chipset) has dual-screen support, DVI out and TV out. For 70$ that
should make it the perfect card for non-gamers.

Unfortunately there seem to be small differences in drivers, because normal
Radeon drivers don't work with Radeon VE.  :-(  At least not for Linux. :-(((

Normal Radeon cards are quite expensive and I think no other card has this
combination of dual, TV and DVI, except for the real expensive like
All-In-Wonder or so... But support is announced for quite a while now. We
(except for Nick) just have to wait a little longer.

gruel

P.S. What's too slow about G400 ?  3D?