[Mplayer-users] new ffmpeg/libavcodec

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Jul 24 19:56:37 CEST 2001

Hi,

> > what's the defference between radeon and radeon VE ?
>
> ATi Radeon VE is the low-cost chipset with only 1 pixel pipeline instead of 3
> (or some other fancy 3D-word). So its 3D performance is worse than of normal
then it's similar to Geforce MX vs. Geforce. (or TNT2 M64 vs. TNT2 Pro)

> Radeon chipset. However, the Radeon VE graphics card (the only card using
> this chipset) has dual-screen support, DVI out and TV out. For 70$ that
> should make it the perfect card for non-gamers.
yea, it isn't too expensive. similar price as Matrox G450 16MB cards here.

> Unfortunately there seem to be small differences in drivers, because normal
> Radeon drivers don't work with Radeon VE.  :-(  At least not for Linux. :-(((
If the chip differs (it does...) then changes in driver requires.

> Normal Radeon cards are quite expensive and I think no other card has this
> combination of dual, TV and DVI, except for the real expensive like
> All-In-Wonder or so... But support is announced for quite a while now. We
> (except for Nick) just have to wait a little longer.
What about 3D support for normal Radeon cards? DOes it work? Stable?
is T&L supported?

> P.S. What's too slow about G400 ?  3D?
yes. Not too slow (I have G400MAX with 5ns SGRAM) but I will need a
really kickass fast card with linux support for my next commercial work.
(developing 3D engine again...) price doesn't matter in this case.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu