[Mplayer-users] What to do before version 1.0

Alex Kanavin ak at cave.hop.stu.neva.ru
Tue Jun 12 13:34:22 CEST 2001

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, havner wrote:

> > Makes little sense, since most modern movies are Sorenson encoded anyway.
> I know and i'm not talking about sorensen video. AFAIK it's under very
> restricitve license and it's imposible to support it. I'm talking

As far as I know, Sorenson is under an exclusive license to Apple. No one
else can get a license. So it's all in the hands of Apple. And I very much
doubt they will support their direct competitors by porting QuickTime to
Linux or releasing Sorenson codec/QT plugin for Windows Media Player.

> about old MOV files compresed with old VFW codecs.

There's "quicktime for linux" project that allows just that, probably it's
possible to reuse some code. But before mplayer has to be GPL'd. And that
is rather difficult, considering opendivx stuff that is under a different
license, and questionable legality of DirectShow code. (remember the sad
story of VirtualDub?)

--
Alexander

Homepage: http://www.sensi.org/~ak/