[Mplayer-users] What to do before version 1.0

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Jun 12 13:50:55 CEST 2001

Hi,

> As far as I know, Sorenson is under an exclusive license to Apple. No one
> else can get a license. So it's all in the hands of Apple. And I very much
> doubt they will support their direct competitors by porting QuickTime to
> Linux or releasing Sorenson codec/QT plugin for Windows Media Player.
Yes. :(

> > about old MOV files compresed with old VFW codecs.
>
> There's "quicktime for linux" project that allows just that, probably it's
It's quite unusable because it doesn't handle compressed files. It's only
for reading uncompressed mov designed for their mpeg2 encoder.

btw xanim is very good at playing mov files, and it has native linux codecs
for old VfW formats like CVID, CRAM usually used in mov files.

> possible to reuse some code. But before mplayer has to be GPL'd. And that
> is rather difficult, considering opendivx stuff that is under a different
opendivx will be separated, as an optional package/extension/plugin for
mplayer. i'm just waiting for next official opendivx release (because their
releses up to 0.50 are totally useless under linux, and CVS version is
unstable, and problematic to compile for users)

> license, and questionable legality of DirectShow code. (remember the sad
> story of VirtualDub?)
directshow isn't problem, but the asf reader (and under-development asf
streaming) is very problematic. btw read Eugene's asf docs at divx.euro.ru,
he explained license things too. something not reverse engineering but
very tricky method.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu