[Mplayer-users] MPlayer on non x86 platform

Maksim Krasnyanskiy maxk at qualcomm.com
Thu Jun 14 00:48:42 CEST 2001

Hi Folks,

I was just looking at the archives and noticed this comment:
>     Bad luck, mplayer uses closed source win32 codecs that only run on x86 and
>     also mplayer doesn't currently care about byteorder, so chances to get
>     mplayer on PPC are 1:10000000 ;) You might want to look into the
>     mpg12play-portable project, which will only play mpeg1/2 but it doesn't seem
>     to be progressing currently.

Actually I managed to compiled and use MPlayer on Compaq iPAQ which is (as you know) based on
StrongARM processor. ARM is little-endian though, so I don't have any issues with endianess.
Performance is suck of course but MPEG2 and DivX codecs work fine.

Some hacking was required to remove MMX, Win32, etc, etc stuff and to make configure do the right thing :).

Do you guys have any plans to cleanup C style ? With all respect to the authors current C style is completely unreadable.
How about running 'indent' on all C and H sources ?

I also noticed discussion about "configure" script. I don't intend to start a flame or something but GNU autoconf is much better.
Well written configure.in is _much_ easier to read and modify than current shell script. And autoconf is way more flexible.
I don't think that the speed of the configure matters. You don't run it every time before compilation.

Max

Maksim Krasnyanskiy
Senior Kernel Engineer
Qualcomm Incorporated