[Mplayer-users] offtopic: realplayer format

Alex Kanavin ak at cave.hop.stu.neva.ru
Tue Jun 19 16:44:11 CEST 2001

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Jacek [iso-8859-2] PopЁawski wrote:

> I know it will be possible to support quicktime, there is
> quicktime4linux, and qt/mov is in mplayer TODO, but what about

Only older movies.

> realplayer? Is it any tool to convert .rm to something useful? is it

No. Once you have an .rm file, you can do three things with it: watch it
with realplayer, extract the sound with some special tricks (substituting
the sound device), and throw the file away.

> any player except binary realplay ?

There's text-mode thing called trplayer (on freshmeat), but a) it's
an audio only player; b) it requires full realplayer installed.

> PS. South Park in gnutella is in .rm :-)

Choose not to watch it then.

--
Alexander

Homepage: http://www.sensi.org/~ak/