[Mplayer-users] offtopic: realplayer format

Jacek Popławski jp at ulgo.koti.com.pl
Tue Jun 19 23:25:52 CEST 2001

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 06:30:33PM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> that quicktime4linux stuff from heroine is ok only for uncompressed
> files. so it' sunusable in real-life.

well... qt is nice format to capture from bttv

> As someone answered a week ago, there is no codecs available. you can
> try to crack the lib*.so files of the binary-only realplayer and hack
> it to mplayer, but
> 1, it's illegal

what about divx? is it legal? (it's not a flame, I am just curious)

> You have to wait until someone (like Eugene in avifile team) find a
> solution,

I think capture realplayer window frame by frame, and capture sound from
/dev/dsp _is_ a solution, it will be hard to sync it, but... :-)

> > > PS. South Park in gnutella is in .rm :-)
> >
> > Choose not to watch it then.
> Agree.

RealPlayer is free (not free software, free of charge), so I can watch .rm, but
it's a very unfriendly app (and not supporting Xv)

--
Change comes slowly
But this is what you'll be