[Mplayer-users] offtopic: realplayer format

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Jun 19 23:54:26 CEST 2001

Hi,

> On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 06:30:33PM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> > that quicktime4linux stuff from heroine is ok only for uncompressed
> > files. so it' sunusable in real-life.
>
> well... qt is nice format to capture from bttv
why?

> > As someone answered a week ago, there is no codecs available. you can
> > try to crack the lib*.so files of the binary-only realplayer and hack
> > it to mplayer, but
> > 1, it's illegal
>
> what about divx? is it legal? (it's not a flame, I am just curious)
yes. making that divx dll (cracking m$ mpeg4 codec) is illegal.
but using that dll isn't (i hope).

> > You have to wait until someone (like Eugene in avifile team) find a
> > solution,
>
> I think capture realplayer window frame by frame, and capture sound from
> /dev/dsp _is_ a solution, it will be hard to sync it, but... :-)
not too hard, if you connect the audio and video grabber processes.
or much simpler: both processes save current timestamp (gettimeofday())
to each frame or audio chunk.

> > > Choose not to watch it then.
> > Agree.
>
> RealPlayer is free (not free software, free of charge), so I can watch .rm, but
> it's a very unfriendly app (and not supporting Xv)
yes.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu