[Mplayer-users] Encoding mpeg1 on linux

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Mar 10 07:45:30 CET 2001

Hi,

> Can anyone tell me the programs/settings I need to record mpeg1 movies using
> V4L that will play on mplayer?  I'm using ffmpeg
> and don't seem to be having much luck.  The sound synchronisation seems to
> be totally wrong, so the sound finishes before the video, but when recording
> using VCR and divx everything works fine.  Is this an ffmpeg issue or
> mplayer?
I don't know. I've tried ffmpeg a lot, and improved its image quality,
but for some (unknown) reason I can't record audio with it. I don't know
that it's a problem of my sound card (SB Live!) or ffmpeg or just a missing
mixer setting. It records just silence...

So you should upload a short - but long enough - mpg file made wiht ffmpeg,
then i'll check.

> Ideally I'd like to hear from anyone using WinTV Go to create mpeg1 files
> under linux, especially ones that can play on Windoze...
>
> thanks in advance, and sorry for being slightly off topic...
not really offtopic. ffmpeg will be soon integrated into mplayer
(it was already done for 0.12pre, but i should re-done it because
the lots of improvements on 0.11 after the fork)

And it's possible that it's an mplayer bug.
Hmm. What about playing it with other players? smpeg-based
players, or mtv/mtvp, xmmp, xmps, etc.. there are too lot.
If they (at least one of them) plays it well, then it's a bug
of mplayer. Otherwise it's an ffmpeg bug, then contact gerard
(ffmpeg author), I'm sure, he'll soon fix it!

> My system:
> Athlon 700, 512M RAM, SB AWE 64, WinTV-GO (BT878).
> Linux 2.4.2, XF4.0.2 (with ATI patches) Xvideo, DGA etc...
which ATI patches do you use? i'm using GATOS Xv driver for
the ATI Xpert98 at work, but it's not a patch.

> Latest stable Mplayer, avilib and ffmpeg.
stable Mplayer? v0.10???

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu