[Mplayer-users] full screen ?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Mar 12 05:37:14 CET 2001

Hi,

> > ( at this time, my cpu is an AMD k6-2 350MHz, so software emulation won't
> > do anything good ...)
>
> For a lot of videos around on the net a k6-II 350 is enough,
> but you definitly need a better graphics card.
True.

> I also have a k6-II 350 and a matrox G200 and only had probs
> with a few movies, for most i have enough cpu.
Yes. But don't forget something: Matrox G200/G400 have extremly fast
YUV unit, and direct hardware access via the mga_vid device!!!

Playing DVD-size video with mga_vid eats about 3% CPU (displaying
only, it doesn't include a/v decoding!) with MTRR enabled...
Plain x11 eats 40% CPU for this... Xv eats about 10%.

I think that under linux the G200/G400 is the best solution for
watching movies (both for monitor and TV-out).

But with a bit faster CPU, you can get very good results if your
card has Xv support under X 4.0.2.
Many cards have it:
- ATI cards (from Xpert98 (mach64) to radeons) using the GATOS Xv driver
- Matrox G200/400/450 (but for them mga_vid is better/faster)
- 3dfx Voodoo3 (and maybe other cards as well including Banshee)
- new nvidia cards, with their own closed-source driver
- S3 virge/dx and savage4? (Gabucino?)
etc.

(for beginners: Xv (X-video) is the new standard for the hardware multimedia
acceleration functions under Linux/UNIX. Similar to DirectShow under Win98.
It supports TV tuners, mpeg en/decoder cards, hardware scaling/resizing,
YUV colorspace conversion etc.)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu