[Mplayer-users] "PanScan"

Michael Hunold M.Hunold at t-online.de
Tue May 22 18:27:17 CEST 2001

Hello Felix,

> > Is it possible to have PanScan effect i. e. to increase height of the
> > picture keeping its aspect radio?
> > (Left and right side of movie will be cut then but it's often acceptable.)

> It's currently not possible, but I might build it into sdl out using some
> tricky memcopy. This means no guarantee I only think about it :)
> Maybe I'll build sdls bonus features like otf fullscreen switching into xv
> only out from mplayer, too, but don't count with that in next release. Let's
> see one release later.

In the meantime, I do the following: use "mplayer" with the
xv-driver and "-fs" switch in a resolution of -- say -- 1024x768,
then switch the resolution via "Alt_Num_+" or "Alt_Num_-" of
the XServer to something lower like 800x600, then center
the image manually.

It's a simple pan & scan effect -- but it works.

Perhaps it's possible to add some switches to "mplayer"
to control the  "playback fullscreen" resolution and the
"display fullscreen" resolution and to do the centering
automatically.

> Best Regards,
>    Felix

CU