[MPlayer-users] Re: mandrake gcc-3.0.2 status and workaround was: Trouble wiThu Nov 1 17:58:55 2001

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Nov 1 17:03:20 CET 2001

Hi,

> I'm sending this to the MPlayer mailinglist and not the gcc or ffmpeg
> people because in my opinion this is not a problem of gcc or ffmpeg
> alone (it works with their compiler flags) but of the interaction of
> gcc, the system environment and mplayer (or more precisely mplayers use
> of libavcodec)
yes, you're right. could you trace down which flags cause the problem?

> Used with the compiler flags: -mcpu=i586 instead of -mcpu=k6 it does
> also compile libavcodec. I'm quite sure that the gcc-3.0 binary from
hmm. it explains some things.
i can compile mplayer+libavcodec with no cflags changes on my p3 with
gcc 3.0.1. but it is i686, not k6. so it explains why can't others
(amd users?) compile while some others (intel users) can.

> Since this is a k6-2 speciafic problem I would like to hear if this
> problem happens on all k6-2 systems with gcc-3.0.2 or just some and on
> all redhat/mandrake systems or just some.
> Except from /proc/cpuinfo:
> cpu family      : 5
> model           : 8
> model name      : AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
> stepping        : 12
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 pge mmx syscall 3dnow k6_mtrr
> Also pay attention to the compiler flags. If Your system uses predefined
> compiler options these will override the configure autodetection. And
> personally I would be very interrested if someone familliar with gcc
> error messages can elaborate what's going on when the compiler issues
> the message: can't find a register in class `GENERAL_REGS' while
> reloading `asm'.

afaik it's printed if gcc ran out of registers. the straneg thing is that
gcc 2.95 doesn't ran out, and gcc 3 doesn't ran out if compiling for i686.
afaik i686 and k6 has the same amount of registers (i mean normal ones, not
sse/mmx). maybe a bug or difference in optimization algo of gcc.

maybe someone should check what are those problems and fix the source to use
one elss register.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu