[MPlayer-users] AV sync problem

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Nov 7 01:58:20 CET 2001

Hi,

> Eh, I've been mistaken.
Sure :)

> After applying '-ni -nobps' to mplayer, its AV sync worked fine.
> I wonder if this means that most of my .avi files are broken. I don't think
> so, but I don't know how to assure that.
I'm sure. if mplayer needs -nobps, it means the files are unplayable with
avifile or windows media player... it's an extra feature of mplayer to
handle broken files with bad header.

-ni is not problem for other players, as they use it by default (or usually
only method). let me explain.
- interleaved avi files (no -ni needed):
  you need only 1 streaming line, you can read the file linearly and process
  data. it speeds up file i/o especially for cdrom.
- non-interleaved avi files: (requires -ni, usually autodetected, except for
  some broken, badly interleaved files):
  it requires 2 independent streaming line. one for audio and one for video.
  it means you have to read the file 2 times! bad for network/cdrom.

so, both -ni and -nobps are to workaround broken stuff. i mena broken files,
not broken player :)

> PS: megyek lamaszamlalot porgetni. :)
siess! :)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team