[MPlayer-users] What is it: http://www.MPlayerHQ.hu/homepage/

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Nov 9 12:35:10 CET 2001

Hi,

> If you think that GPL SUX maybe you should stop using Linux because if it
> wasn't GPLed it wouldn't be so developed as it is now. It's good sources
> would be already stolen by every company which now develops on it and gives
> the source back to community because they have to. There could be probably
> tens of proprietary distributions without source codes and so on. And in
> conclusion Linux wouldn't be so highly developed. GPL is the best opensource
> license because it forbids to steal the code from the community.

I didn't talked about stealing code. My problem with GPL is that it doens't
allow using non-GPL code (including binaries) in GPL program.
It has nothing about code stealing. It should allow using binary code for
GPL program, but shouldn't allow using GPL for non-GPL (closedsource) stuff.

There are lots of projects suffers from this limitation, and have to use
much worse gpl implementations than better but non-gpl libs/codes.
Forcing GPL this way is like M$ strategy...
"use GPL or die"

> And about the problem you've had with the nonGPL code in the kernel. I don't
> think it's impossible to compile nonGPL code into the kernel (maybe with
> some hacking) or you can make initrd and let the proprietary code be in the
> module when you're booting.
yes i know. but i'm not a kernel hacker, i can't do it, and other people
using the drivers can't do it. initrd is an option but not the best.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu